In two decades, REUNIMER succeeded in becoming structured around activities ranging from the catch to the sale of seafood products. Although facing competition on all of its businesses, the Reunion Island based Group is the only company active on all segments of the seafood value chain, through its various subsidiaries.
The leader in fresh fishing, and thus the primary and leading exporter of fresh fish from Reunion Island, REUNIMER is an integrated group on the seafood value chain, from the hook to the plate. Its sourcing and distribution activity enhance its resilience to market fluctuations while developing the local activities of fishing and processing, allowing REUNIMER to provide a steady supply to customers.
REUNIMER pursues a balanced strategy between growth investments and rationalization of logistics through the renovation of factories and warehouses, as well as the modernization of vessels.
The group follows a regional partnership approach in the South Indian Ocean area. Its critical mass now enables it to consider new development projects: the adventure continues!
--------------- The birth of REUNIMER’s future pillars in Reunion Island ---------------
--------------------- The beginning of convergence ---------------------
--------------- Creation and Development of the REUNIMER Group ---------------
AN INTEGRATED GROUP ON
THE SEAFOOD VALUE CHAIN
VERTICALLY ORGANIZED, THE REUNIMER GROUP IS PRESENT ON ALL THE KEY SEGMENTS OF THE SEAFOOD VALUE CHAIN THROUGH ITS VARIOUS SUBSIDIARIES.
SUPERMARKETS AND HYPERMARKETS
-------- LOCAL MARKET --------
FISHING / VESSELS OUTFITTING
PRODUCTION AND IMPORT OF PROCESSED PRODUCTS
B2B DISTRIBUTION (AND OTHER PROCESSINGS)
Within the Group, ENEZ and its subsidiaries are responsible for the fishing part. 12 vessels are operated - 14 ships held directly or indirectly, including 2 projected retrofit for 2015-2016 - to perform longline fishing of pelagic fish species: swordfish, tuna, dolphin fish, sailfish, lancer, marlin, etc.
The whole catch of the fleet is landed in the processing plant of the Group, REUNIPECHE.
The fishing itself is underpinned by three other businesses controlled by ENEZ as a ship owner:
• Ships outfitting, ie supply of fishing equipment and bait
• Maintenance / mechanical management of ships, including the supply and storage of spare parts
• Fleet management, particularly regarding logistics
• 17 years of experience
• Homogeneous fleet
• Independence and autonomy on the servicing part (proprietary workshop and warehouse)
• Development of a fishing fleet management software and CMMS
REUNIPECHE is the Group's processing plant. It receives and processes all catches from ENEZ as soon as the boats return.
Landed fish is classified according to its quality (freshness, physical integrity), then passed around, cut into loins or frozen:
• Nearly 50% of the volume goes on the export market, mainly in Europe; fresh fish is flown, frozen fish is sent by refrigerated container
• The remaining 50% is for the local market: overwhelmingly to subsidiaries, the rest to independent wholesalers
Working on a sensitive product subject to strict health regulations, REUNIPECHE conducts extensive quality controls from the reception of fish, but also until the end consumption date. The plant has its own analysis means, and also outsources some of the controls to independent laboratories.
• Full mastery of the processing activity (process and cost-optimized)
• Privileged market position as main factory of first transformation in La Reunion
• Resilience to market fluctuations, thanks to the diversity of the targeted export markets and of a strong commercial dynamism
REUNION PELAGIQUE is the importer / wholesaler of the Group. As such, the company imports frozen products from around the world, mainly from Asia (70%) and Latin America (15%). Seafood makes up the bulk of its 350 product references, completed by the import of frozen vegetables - which complement the Group's offering and give it access to certain market segments, particularly the public markets. It also buys frozen fish to the REUNIPECHE processing plant.
All of its products are then distributed to customers, including:
• Internally, MARTIN PECHEUR and REUNION PELAGIQUE TRAITEUR
• On the local market outside the Group, with different segments:
o Supermarkets and hypermarkets
o Public collectivities
• The first importer specialist of seafood in La Reunion, with ability to supply other wholesalers
• A unique positioning on a wide range of products opening up many market segments
MARTIN PECHEUR is specializing in the distribution of fresh seafood products (CHR – Coffees, Hotels & Restaurants and Supermarkets) and frozen products (CHR only) on the Reunion market.
MARTIN PECHEUR is now focusing on two distinct activities:
• The distribution of fresh and frozen food to the CHR market segment. The product range extends from seafood, fish cutouts, cephalopods, to vegetables, baked goods, pastries, etc.
• The trade of fresh pelagic fish and groundfish from Madagascar to fishmongers and supermarkets in La Reunion
MARTIN PECHEUR sources its products from the Group and from partners with which it is the exclusive distributor in La Reunion:
• REUNIPECHE for fresh and frozen fish from La Reunion
• REUNION PELAGIQUE for frozen foods
• REUNION PELAGIQUE TRAITEUR for fresh processed seafood
• SPSM (Society of Fisheries of St. Mary) for fresh and frozen fish from Madagascar
• COUP DE PATES for pastry products & snacks
• 20 years on the Reunion market, benefiting from a strong image in terms of quality of service and a recognized expertise
• A strong internal supply channel coupled to exclusive partnerships with suppliers outside the Group
REUNION PELAGIQUE TRAITEUR specializes in processing high value-added seafood products: shellfish cooking, fish refining, production of seafood platters, fish rillettes ... These products are marketed locally under the brand Le Pêcheur Créole.
Supermarkets, sandwich sellers and airline catering services currently constitute its major market segments.
• Strong growth potential, both on existing market segments as well as on new segments yet to conquer (Public markets & Coffees Hotels Restaurants), including Supermarkets Self Service
• An expanding product range, a revised packaging more adapted to changing consumer expectations and more visible, and many developments to come: terrines, smoked or dried pelagic, smoked salmon steak, etc.
• A development supported by the sales force and logistics of the Group's other distribution structures, REUNION PELAGIQUE & MARTIN PECHEUR
• Reunimer is an active member of the Interprofessional Association of Reunion Fisheries and Aquaculture (ARIPA). This structure contributes to the development and structuring of the fish market in Reunion Island.
At a regional level:
The REUNIMER Group boasts a decade of regional partnerships in the South Indian Ocean area. For example, today, REUNIMER supports as a shareholder and potential customer a mangrove crab aquaculture project based in Tulear, on the South West coast of Madagascar. This is notably a way for the group to explore aquaculture opportunities.
Furthermore, REUNIMER is the largest market for fresh products of SPSM, a fish and collect company based in St. Marie, on the East coast of Madagascar. This partnership approach is aiming at diversifying REUNIMER’s supplies, as well as building constructive and sustainable relationship with the Group’s partners.
François-Xavier Crosnier Mangeat
Gérald Claudel operational director
Aurelie Peniguel management assistant
Human ressource manager